Probably the most anticipated powder in the last 10 years or more to come out. Here is some opinions on it:
- Compressed loads, pretty much no matter what bullet you choose from 75+ grain
- You either have medium compressed, or very MEGA compressed if you want higher velocity
- Due to very high compression, we think SD and ES are varying, probably due to crushed powder and varying OAL. Some bullets started creeping back up after seating, because it was well over 100PSI to seat almost everything, even loads over 1 grain under max
- Not ideal for 223, no way. But that is subjective to some, but to us, its for sure. When you load way under max, even 1.5 grains under max, and you have to compress the bullet over 100 PSI to seat it, that is not ideal and that itself causes issues. Ideal for 223, we think is like Benchmark, N135, N530, AR Comp and in that area, some would say XBR8208 and H4895 are right in sweet spot along with the others. N140, Varget and RL15 are all good around 24 and they are not efficient to use for lighter bullets, lower performance .
- RL 15.5 is not well suited for 223, but that doesn't mean its not a great powder. Its just not great for 223. It will be great for larger case cartridges like Valk, and Creed, 6MM, etc. Where you don't have mega compression. We will test Valk next, it will do a lot better, we are sure.
Lets see some results. Maybe they will sell us....
P.S. Alliant. We LOVE your company, you have so many top tier powders. Reloader 13 is what we need. In between RL15 and AR Comp, but TS technology! So basically, 23.5-23.8 grains would yield 2750 FPS in a 20" barrel using 77 SMK @ 2.260. Or if there is a way to use TS, but less bulky, like benchmark for example, then around 24.5-24.8 grains to hit 2750 FPS would be ideal area. You probably think that is a waste of time, because AR Comp is so close. Basically RL13 would be .5 grains slower. Hardly worth it. Or just come out with RL15X and have that the TS version. Same load data as RL15. But please, make granules same size as AR Comp and RL15. I absolutely HATE powder dropping RL15.5 and RL16. They get stuck in the drops, and then spills all over. I can't stand it.